Pages

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Back to School

AtPoplar Streams Academy, we strive to teach our kids the 3 R's: to be respectful, responsible and resourceful, so hopefully school is never actually NOT in session ;) .... but our new school year has commenced officially this week. So far it has gone well... no major complaints or breakdowns quite yet!

Our first-day-of-school apple pie breakfast was, not suprisingly, a hit --although Strider kept peppering me with questions beforehand: "What do you mean apple pie for breakfast? It's not REAL apple pie, is it? It's probably some healthy one you found a recipe for, right? etc., etc" He was happily surprised in the end to find it was actual, real apple pie.

This year is exciting for me on a few levels. We're trying some new things, and I think what we'll be studying will be fun for everyone -- things like Ancient Egypt, Greece, Rome, insects, plants, etc. Between Strider and Rayna's different learning styles and levels, we have quite a lot of curriculum in play this year: Classical Conversations, Learning Lang. Arts through Literature, Explode the Code, Handwriting without Tears, Italic Handwriting, Singapore Math, Math-U-See, and a myriad of History, Science, Spanish, Music and Grammar books. I, of course, had fun making my master week-by-week spreadsheet with all the different subject areas mapped out for each of us... We'll see how well we stick to it! The beginning of the year holds so much fresh HOPE!

We're also going to (hopefully) have a more hands-on, artsy-crafty year than we've had thus far -- we started out some of that this week, which has been fun.

The biggest challenge is how to deal with Miles and Colsen at this point. They both want to be right in the thick of it all, so I always have someone squirming on my lap, and usually someone else crying somewhere.... Oh well. It's nice to have a loud house and I'm thankful -- most of the time.

So, onward and upward!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome school uniforms!! I can't believe what a big kid Miles looks like sitting ont he porch with his official shirt on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so impressed... I love that even Miles has his own uniform :) I totally love the picture of the kids oldest to youngest / tallest to shortest on the step - that is a keeper.

    ReplyDelete