Pages

Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Some moments

I have been recording less and less of what is going on a daily basis, largely because I'm too busy spinning 'round and 'round, mostly standing in the same spot, all day long.  My parenting-onset ADD is at an all-time high and while I think to myself that something is notable quite often, the "note" is lost by the time I am ever in front of my computer.

But there are a few moments that stick out... some things from our ordinary days that I don't want to forget.

For example, there was the moment when I realized I had reached an all-time low (high?) on the scale of mellowness.  A few people have remarked lately that I always seem quite calm, and I have laughed uproariously at that (on the inside), since I know myself to be a very uptight, angsty individual.

But... the other day I set the kids' lunch down on the table and walked into the other room to get a few things done.  A couple minutes later I heard a roaring sound that seemed to be getting closer and closer, but it took a few seconds to really register.  Finally I stood up and walked into the kitchen to investigate -- and found Miles wearing Pete's backpack leaf blower, at full volume and power!  He was blowing that thing all through the kitchen. All I did was stare at him until he laughed and finally took it back to the garage and turned it off.  So, there was that.

(I remember someone commenting on how my dad's mother, the mother of 4 boys, often had a glazed-over look on her face.  Perhaps I am assuming some of that countenance.  Kids will break you and dull you.)

(And the gas fumes that remained in the house for the next hour or so probably dulled me even more.)

But there are sweet moments, too.

Like one afternoon recently when the snow/rain was coming down outside, and inside our cozy house, while I was making brownies, one child was writing a paper on the computer, one was playing "Carol of the Bells" on the piano, and two were drawing Christmas tree art.  (And one was working responsibly at Chick-Fil-A) I love those kinds of moments.

And there are always moments when my kids end up teaching me Lately I have been reminded of truth by Jinna Rai.  When she does something she is proud of -- dances a funny dance, sings a song, writes a note, etc.-- the first question she always asks is, "God like it??"

I always tell her that yes, God is very pleased with her and she gets so happy.  But this is something I need to remember myself -- that my first question for all I do should be, "God like it?"  I forget that He is my audience so often...

So, life at this stage if full of loud moments, of sweet moments, of frustrating moments, and of profound moments.  I wouldn't trade this stage for anything.


1 comment:

  1. I can so easily picture this, why am I not surprised who the leaf blower was:)
    yes, what a blessing, such a gift of a cozy house and children playing at home...

    ReplyDelete