Pages

Wednesday, April 15, 2020

How does a prophet age gracefully?

The more I get to know myself -- and I've had 47 years of pretty significant navel-gazing now -- the more I recognize that I share a lot of personality traits with the prophets of the Old Testament.  I often find myself wanting to go up on a hill and shout, "HEY, ALL Y'ALL:  WE'RE DOING THIS ALL WRONG!!"

Of course, the prophets of yore had the benefit of having God actually speak directly to them, whereas I only have His written Word, so the probability of my interpretations and proclamations being wrong is substantially higher than it was for them.... but still, I have the desire to voice my thoughts anyhow.

Like them, I get very upset by injustice.  I hate seeing sin go unpunished and grace go unrecognized.  The brokenness of the world slays me.  As the prophets surely used to say, "I can't even."

Sometimes I get accused of being a perfectionist, which I used to always laugh off because one look at my desk --- or my closet, or my kitchen, or my laundry room, etc, etc -- would tell you I have no problem living with a mess.  But as I've read and heard more, I realize now that I may have perfectionistic tendencies when I get so upset at the failings of others -- and, more often -- myself.

A few weeks ago I heard someone say that some people are "premature eschatologists" -- they're looking for the perfection of the new heavens and new earth now.  Aha!  Yes, my name is Amy and I am a premature eschatologist.

The very negative part of being this type of personality is that I am hard to be around.  I am critical of others, often (probably correctly) accused by my lovely children as being too demanding.  And I am critical of myself, which leads to bad moods... making me even less fun to be around.

It appears people didn't always enjoy hearing from the OT prophets either. Again, they were standing on much firmer ground than I am with their complaints, but I'm sure they can relate to my prickliness.  They would probably "get" me.

Believe me, I would much rather NOT be this way.  I don't like being judgmental and critical. I know there are positive elements to this personality aspect.... being able to see problems and help with solutions, seeing the great contrast between our sin and God's holiness, which can lead to greater awe and worship.

But I would like to be more grace-full, more gentle, less aware and mad about the brokenness in and around me.  And I'm worried.... I'm no spring chicken anymore and the next life stage bearing down on me is that of a senior citizen.  We all know that one's "filter" between mind and mouth seems to fade as people age.  This is bad news for me since I tend to keep a lot of my critical thoughts in my mind.

I don't want to be one of those crotchety old people waving her cane at everyone younger than 70 and calling out all the evils of progress.  I don't want to spew out all my judgments unsolicited and unbidden.

So between now and then (tomorrow?) I need to implement some strategies.  Who can advise me in this?

I wish I could meet with an elderly Elijah... but of course he never became too elderly, lucky dog.  Maybe Isaiah would have some tips.  Hosea seems to be pretty softened as time goes on, taking Gomer back and all.  Jonah, on the other hand, still hadn't seemed to figure out how to age gracefully by the last notes we have of him.  Maybe he did later.

Of course the other big difference between the real OT prophets and me is that I get to live on this side of the Cross.  I have the eyewitness accounts of Jesus, the fulfillment of the Gospel, while those prophets did not (while on earth).  I get to know the "already" part of the kingdom... but I'm still waiting for the "not yet" part, as they were.

The "already" will need to suffice for me.  The truths of Jesus, and the Holy Spirit via Peter and Paul and the rest, will need to be my instructions on how to live --  now and as I age.  I must remind myself to do things like Philippians 4:8 says -- to think about the good things -- and Colossians 3 repeats-- to set my minds on things above, not on earthly things.

As with most things, it all comes down to the daily habits I guess.  Choosing gratefulness and joy and not complaining.  Choosing worship and prayer over rants and harangues.

Please, all y'all -- family and friends -- remind me of this, daily if you can.  The mental images I have of my wrinkled and gray-haired filter-less old self can be scary!

1 comment:

  1. Great thoughts. Well written. I identify with a bit of that too :) Love your thoughts, Amy!

    ReplyDelete