Pages

Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Life in a small town

 This morning I walked out the door at 8:58, concerned that I would be late for my 9:00 doctor’s appointment.  I arrived at the doctor’s office at 9:01.  By 9:07 I had met the nurse for the first time, and had also learned her address (she lives on my street), and how she likes walking by our house each night, that her kids have played in our backyard, how many kids she has, how old they are, what state she lived in after college, why she moved to this town, the schooling options around here, how her husband had passed away, the promise she had made him that kept her here, where she wants to move next, where her extended family lives, that this was her last day in that office because she was going to start working in the ER, and the strange way her daughter had broken her foot.

 ****

 My friend is organizing a square dance to be held at another family’s barn.  She met with the “caller” this week – and happily was able to also pick up a cow heart from him to use for dissection in the anatomy class she teaches Miles and her sons.

****

This place is funny -- and fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment