Pages

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Food that regenerates!

Am I the last person to find out about this? I may very well be, but I'm excited about it nevertheless.


When we were visiting my bro and sis-in-law in California recently, I noticed that Keiko had the ends of some scallions stuck in a bowl of water. Knowing that she often has some good Japanese tips for cooking, I asked her about them and she told me that after you use up the onion, you can stick the white end in some water and they'll grow back!


So I tried it this past week, thinking it would be a long-term science experience we could all enjoy. To my surprise, they grew back in a matter of couple days -- this picture was taken a week after I put the white parts in water. Even Strider is impressed (although I have to keep calling them scallions -- if he ever gets wind of the fact that they're also called green onions, he will never go near them again).


Anyway, isn't this cool? As Strider says, "We'll never have to buy scallions again!" Talk about a "buy-one-get-some-free" deal!


In these economically-challenged days, it's good to find a food that re-grows itself!

No comments:

Post a Comment