Pages

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Some business lessons learned

After our recent Boxing Day Auction that we had as a family, Strider has been contemplating some of the results. He was very eager to spend his own money that day and pick out the items he bid on, but now I think he has experienced some buyers' remorse, (or as we say in my marketing classes, "cognitive dissonance"). To try and turn that around, though, he recently announced that he had a new business idea:

S: Mom, I know what I'm going to do. I'm going to start selling my stuff to other people for more than I paid for it. Then I'll make a lot of money.
Me: Well, honey, I don't know if people will be willing to pay extra for an item that they could just go to the store and get for cheaper.
S: Yeah, but they won't know how much it costs at the store.
Me: Hmmm.... I think people generally have a good handle on what things cost.
S: Well, maybe if they're economists or something, but not regular people!

So.... I guess the business lessons we're imparting here at the Frank house, unknowingly but perhaps not in error, are:
1.) Buy low and sell high
2.) Economists are really, really smart -- at least when it comes to market dealings.

Pete is pleased. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment