Pages

Friday, February 8, 2019

JOY Prom!

Rayna's first prom experience was one that will be hard to top!

 (Sidney came over to do her hair and get her all gussied up!)
Her class at Weddington all got tickets -- and a party bus! -- and they were all matched up with dates among the peer tutors, so essentially she got to go with all her favorite people. 


They went out to dinner at Chili's ahead of time, and then arrived at Carmel Baptist, where they found a fancy tent outside... which led to a red carpet entrance.

Needless to say, Rayna LOVED all of the applause and attention!



The whole operation - JOY Prom - is simply amazing.  There are hundreds and hundreds of volunteers, all there to make the guests feel special and loved.... and boy, are they successful.  I was only there briefly to take pictures, but I had to fight back tears the whole time.  What a taste of Heaven!



Rayna's date, Max, is a remarkable young man.  He helps out in Rayna's class regularly, so they were already friends, which made it nice.  He texted me throughout the night with pictures and comments... He said they had a great time!  And Rayna got home she definitely confirmed that!

I have to say, though, that one of the big lessons of the night for me came when Rayna started telling me all about her night.  While I had been a little "star-struck" by Max -- how talented (star football player) and good-looking and nice he is -- Rayna kept talking about Cooper as well.  Cooper is a boy in her class who has Down's syndrome, and apparently he loves to dance.  :)   So while she had a great time with Max, she was also just as delighted with Cooper.... which was a reminder to me that sometimes I'm looking only surface deep.  I'm so glad my daughter finds joy and beauty in all people... I can learn from her!


No comments:

Post a Comment