Pages

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Hair today and gone tomorrow.... and then back again

My hair is falling out.

Again.

One of the oh-so-pleasant discoveries that new moms make is that after the baby is born, about the same time the baby's hair starts falling out, her own hair starts falling out. Apparently, being pregnant makes us grow more hair than usual -- some women say they notice their hair becomes all nice and thick and shiny (I didn't really notice a big difference). And then in the wonderful post-partum period, all those extra hairs fall out.

But then here's the part I don't get: a few months after the big Fall-Out, little new hairs start growing back in. The first time this happened with me after Strider was born I felt like I looked so ridiculous-- all these little fringy hairs coming in around my forehead. Since then I've realized I should always just squint when I look in the mirror, so then I don't see any of my flaws -- these baby hairs included -- so it hasn't bothered me as much in subsequent post-partums.

So, as I was pulling my hair out by the seemed-like fistful today, I started pondering this. WHY do we grow extra hair, then lose it, then grow new hair?? What exactly is the point? I was thinking about how God has numbered the hairs on each of our heads, and thought about how his tabulator had to be working over-time for my head these days. Add a bunch, subtract a bunch, add a bunch more....
Why would He want to do that?

I can't presume to know any of His why's, of course, but I did discover one of the nice results of it all: the fact that I'm realizing how much God is paying attention to me! He is making his head-hair-calculator run in overdrive -- on purpose. He apparently doesn't mind the extra math -- he is still keeping tabs on me.

Maybe this is just what I need to hear right now, in a stage of life where I often feel consumed by the mundane details of small people around me -- that God is intimately involved with my mundane details, to a much, much greater degree than I can even imagine. It's been a nice realization. :)

3 comments:

  1. I needed to hear that. It IS a nice realization. :-)

    I'll have to try the squinting in the mirror trick! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I needed this today-thanks. Can't wait to see you.
    I also will try the squinting trick-sounds very helpful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cool thing about getting old is that you don't hafta squint anymore -- 'vuz you just can't see any of the flaws!
    By the way, the Anonymous comments are me -- I can't figure out how to put my actual name!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete