Pages

Saturday, May 16, 2009

One flesh

An alternate title for this post could be "Plenty of portulaca" because...

A few weeks ago the gardener at our local greenhouse gave me the idea to plant some portulaca (flowers) in a strawberry pot I already owned. I followed her directions, and now that the flowers are starting to bloom, I'm very happy!

I had had a conversation with Mom about this when I first planted them (she remembers planting portulaca when she was a child), so yesterday morning as I was looking out in the yard, I thought, "I'll take a couple photos of the flowers and email them to her." So I took the pictures, but didn't download them from the camera right away.

Then, later after Pete had come home, he came upstairs with the camera, saying, "Look how great this picture is." "I know," I said, "I took it."

"No, you didn't -- I just did," he replied. "Look, I took 2 of them!"

"Well, I took 2 pictures of the same exact thing 6 hours ago," I told him.

And, sure enough, there were 4 pictures on the camera -- all remarkably similar.

Pete and I often feel like our minds are tuned the same channel... Sometimes when we're quietly reading our separate books in bed at night, we'll both start talking at the same time -- about the same random topic. Or we'll be driving in the car listening to the kids sing or argue about something, and we'll suddenly both turn to each other and say something about a course he's planning for school. Totally random and weird. And Pete always says, "One flesh, Baby!" when we do that.

But this portulaca incident even had him, in his own words, "reeling." We're so strange -- but believe me, we don't usually take photographs of the flowers growing in our yard! Totally random.

Are other couples as dorky as us??

Anyway, Mom, there is now plenty of portulaca for you to see!




Here are the pictures I took:
And here are the ones Pete took:


2 comments: