Pages

Monday, February 16, 2015

Thankful for a daughter (this daughter)

I recently was on a web site about Bulgarian names (thinking we may someday be matched with a Bulgarian child and was curious about the different naming patterns, etc), and was surprised to see in the list of 70 or so common Bulgarian names, the name "Rayna!"  We knew it came from a Yiddish derivation and meant "song of the Lord," but in Bulgarian, it has some additional meanings.  It can be associated with the name "Regina," meaning "queen," but it can also be the feminine form of "Rayno," which is derived from the name "Rad," meaning "Happy and willing."

 Happy and willing -- that certainly describes our Rayna!  I have been thinking recently how blessed I am to have her as a daughter.

Amidst all the destructionism of the boys, she is a co-warrior with me against all the chaos and entropy.  I often see her stop to straighten out the pillows and blankets on the couch, or pick up books that have been strewn about.

She loves, loves, loves to do chores -- still!  The novelty has not worn off for her, and she happily complies every time I ask her to fold laundry, clean floors, or empty the dishwasher.  In fact, she often begs me to let her do all the dishes.

She also likes to be the general sheep-dog for the family, keeping us all in line, keeping us on track, and generally trying to keep us all together.  Her favorite thing is when we're all going to be home for dinner on a particular evening.

She has kept her high level of enthusiasm for simple things.  Yesterday I walked into the kitchen to find her drinking water.  I asked her how she was doing and she said, "I just love this water.  It's so.... water-y.  And cold!  I love this water."

My boys are pretty observant about some things, but Rayna takes it to a whole new level.  If I wear an item of clothing or accessory that she hasn't seen in awhile or is brand new, she immediately notices and comments with great expression.  "Mom!  Where did you get that shirt??  Did you buy it?  I like it!"  Things like that.  So nice to be noticed.  :)

In moments I least expect it, she is quick to come give me a hug and tell me how much she loves me.

Tonight, as I was trying to get her picture happily vacuuming (she actually said, "thank you!" when she was told it was her turn), the boys kept trying to photo-bomb and were dancing around.  She thought it was great and started dancing, too!


The boys are fun and exciting and adventurous and loud and sweet and I wouldn't ever trade them. But I'm also so glad that God rounded us out with our sweet, happy and willing Rayna!

No comments:

Post a Comment