Pages

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Solar Eclipse

For the last several weeks I have had several boys telling me over and over that we HAD to do something huge for August 21, because the planned solar eclipse was going to be a ONCE IN A LIFETIME EVENT.

We thought about driving to South Carolina to be in the path of "totality," but I made the game-day decision (to many cat-calls and boos) that we would stay closer to home.  The threat of traffic jams coming home, and the fact that I was already tired and was planning to start school the next day, tipped the scales to the conservative (read: boring) side.  We heard of a 90-mile traffic jam on I-77 afterwards, so I think I made the right call!


BUT, since it was a very exciting event, we decided to make a party out of it and traveled to Wingate (where there was NO traffic) to join in with a bunch of the students at their viewing party.  The astronomy professor had telescopes out, so that was pretty cool.



 Other cool things:
Seeing all the campus lights come on in the middle of the day,
and hearing all the insects start their evening songs
Seeing the shadows under the trees

...And being with all kinds of excited people!

So we didn't see it get 100% dark -- only 98% of the sun got covered here, but I think it was a memorable experience anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment