Pages

Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Repentance?

Tonight as I was rapidly spinning around in the kitchen trying to prepare dinner for 12, I noticed that someone had -- once again -- turned on the dishwasher, for some inexplicable reason.  (no soap put in, wasn't fully loaded)

I whirled around and demanded to know WHO had done it, determined to solve this ongoing mystery once and for all.  No one fessed up -- of course -- so I did the only thing I could think of in the height of my frenetic activity: sent them all to their rooms.

After about 10 minutes, Colsen asked if he could come out and talk to me.  As I predicted, he came and told me that he had done it.

"Colsen," I said, "I suspect that you are just saying that it was you, even though it wasn't you, so that no one else has to get in trouble and you can all come out of your rooms."

"Yep," he answered.

"Well, honey, that's still a lie, you know.  You should never lie" I told him.

His response was, "It's ok, Mom.  I already repented for it in my room."

"You mean you repented before you even said the lie?"

"Yep," he said.

"Ummmm...." I said, "I don't think you quite understand the true meaning of repentance."

I guess we still have some work to do in our theology lessons around here...  I'll get to it when I'm not in the middle of making dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment