Pages

Friday, January 25, 2008

Thoughts for the day-- from a great book

I've been reading a really incredible book lately called "Better Than My Dreams" by Paula Rinehart. Best book I've read in a long, long time. And that's saying something because I'm currently only half-way through it. And, it's also particularly noteworthy because I usually do NOT like reading non-fiction. I highly recommend it to everyone.

There are many, many insightful and interesting things I've discovered in it so far -- as evidenced by all the underlining and dog-eared corners in my book -- but today I've been pondering a couple thoughts in particular....

One is a quote by Madeleine L'Engle...
"To grow up

is to findthe small part

you are playing

in this extraordinary drama

written by

someone else."

Along the same idea, here is a quote from Frederick Buechner,
"The place God has for you is the place where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meet."

The author of the book goes on to say,

"Find out what makes your heart sing and how that touches the sea of need around you -- that niche will feel like something that's been prepared for you. It won't necessarily be easy. But there's joy there, a sense of deep satisfaction."

And then she goes on to say that,

"The fine irony is this: discovering that small part, the one with your name on it, is often the phoenix that rises from the ashes of your broken dreams.... [W]hat God gives you to give the world often comes from your wounds and secret griefs.... In some mysterious way, God redeems what's been lost and then transforms it into the cup of cold water that you offer in his name. And that is, truly, better than your original dreams of the life you thought you wanted."

Interesting concept, huh?

Tonight we have planned to get together with a few other couples, and part of the conversation is going to be centered on a question that one of the guys posed: "What are the things that make you glad, sad, mad, dream and dread?" In preparation for this, Pete and I have had a lot of good conversations this week about these things -- it's been interesting to hear our different thoughts and approaches to this question. The "dreams" part is, of course, my favorite topic. And the quotes above have really gotten my brain swirling around it... I will be curious to hear what the group thinks, and also where my mind ends up settling on all this!

Unfortunately, since I and the kiddos still have varying degrees of a cold, only Pete will be able to go to the gathering tonight. :( He'll be the representative for both of us, and hopefully he'll be able to translate back to me the gist of the discussion. Or maybe I'll just send a tape recorder. I LOVE talking about -- and thinking about -- all this!

No comments:

Post a Comment