Pages

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Conversations from this morning

Here's the first conversation I had this morning:
Me (going into Rayna's room and finding Strider sitting on the floor looking all disgusted): Hey Strides.... What's the matter??
Strider: This book doesn't have enough pronouns!!
Me: What are you talking about?
Strider: This book! It just keeps saying, 'Muffy went outside. Muffly played on the swings. Muffy likes to eat.' Stuff like that. This book is dumb. Can we throw it away?
(The book he was talking about was a little board book.... obviously targeted at an age younger than his!)

Then later, Pete had the following conversation with Random Rayna:
Pete: Why did you take your pants all the way off in order to go to the bathroom??
Rayna: Because I want to do the hokey pokey.
(This is not a euphemism for anything. She apparently just had that song in her head from who knows how long ago. And, just for the record, we have NEVER suggested the kids do the hokey pokey song naked! I'm telling you, she's just random.)

Another conversation that occurred, I am ashamed to admit was:
Rayna: Mom, what's Colsen doing?
Me: Oh, he's just playing with the razors.
(Wait! With the what???)
(Later he also lobbed a glass jar of baby food clear across the room to land on hardwood floor. WHO is in charge of what this kid plays with around here??)

And Colsen, though he couldn't contribute much to the verbal conversations, did attempt repeated communication with me all morning. This largely was comprised of him running up to me, yelling at my knees, and then gesturing for me to follow him..... and when I would follow him, he kept leading me to the door to go outside. Very Lassie-like. And when I wouldn't give in to these oh-so-subtle hints that he wanted to go out, he finally went and got his jacket, brought it to me, and sat on the floor in front of me so I would put it on him. So, yes, I finally took him outside to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment