Pages

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Oh good, it's football season again.

Perhaps you can sense my lack of enthusiasm here... but let me just say whatever excitement I am lacking is more than made up for by the other members of this family -- specifically, the older 2 males of the household.

Suddenly, 90% of all conversations in this house have started to center on what BIGGAME is on this weekend, and what times the various teams play, and where we will have to go in order to view the games on the channels we do not receive at our house. (Friends and family of ours who have cable should be expecting calls from Pete or Strider in the next few weeks. And if you have HDTV -- prepare for some long-term houseguests.)

Our dinner conversation last night was all about the Oakland Raiders' and their coach and owner and the guys' opinions of each, and exactly how much room to make decisions a franchise owner has within the league. Needless to say, I was less than engaged.

A lot of what I hear these days starts like this, "Mom! Guess what! _______(insert player I've never heard of) from the ________ (insert team -- which at least I've usually heard of) is going to...... (I don't even know what to insert here because by this point my eyes have glazed over -- and I guess my ears have, too, because I don't hear the rest of it.) I just smile and nod and say, "wow!" a bunch of times.

And then if the real games were not enough, we have the big Fantasy Football games each week as well. Last Saturday I came home from work and found Pete in front of his laptop and Strider perched right at his elbow, giving him advice about who to play and who to bench for the week.... apparently Strider is the offensive coordinator of the team.

Each weekend we have to have ongoing negotiations about how much football viewing will take place. And invariably I will hear, "But this is the BIGGESTGAMEOFTHEYEAR! We HAVE to watch it!" I remarked recently that it seems like the biggestgameoftheyear seems to happen awfully frequently. But Pete very seriously thought about it and then told me (and this is a direct quote): "Nah. I'd say they only happen about 3 times a season." ???

Even Rayna is getting into the excitement... simply because it is excitement, and not because she has any clue what's going on. In the car on the way home from some event over the weekend, she leaned forward and asked, "Mom, can I watch the game when we get home?" I think she's just learned that that's the question you're supposed to ask around here approximately every 15 minutes.

Colsen, thankfully, is not into watching the TV games yet... .but he certainly enjoys playing football! He's developed some good blocking skills just by living her -- putting his arm outstretched, lowering his head, and cradling whatever he's carrying in his elbow as he runs past his siblings trying to deter him. I didn't get very good pictures of this, but this will give you the general idea anyway.



No comments:

Post a Comment