Pages

Sunday, September 28, 2008

A decade to be thankful for


Rayna has decided she really loves "Show and Tell" these days, so I figured I would take a turn myself today. This is a picture of the book that Pete gave me 10 years ago yesterday, on the day of our wedding. It is a blank book inside, but he made the cover himself by taking a color-copy of a 3-dimensional art-form he made -- which inclued even stitching those letters on paper.... Here is where everyone says, "Awwwwwwww....."

Anyway, he gave it to me with the instructions that I should write in it through the course of our marrriage, to keep a record of our journey together. I've never been a good journaler, but when I have something specific (and infrequent) like this to do, I enjoy it. So, starting during our honeymoon, I wrote several pages. I recorded all my thoughts and our observations about our wedding, the receptions, and the rehearsal dinner -- things people said, funny things people did, the crazy songs the various reception tables sang to get us to kiss, etc. I even wrote down all the dance moves that the "palace guys /ATF guys" did to Saturday Night Fever. And I'm so glad I did -- I would have forgotten almost all of it by now, knowing my lack of memory these days!

And then on each anniversary and on other special days, such as days when we got good or bad news, or the days our children were born, I've written my thoughts and recorded what was going on with us. Occasionally Pete has written some entries as well... though he's not as verbose as I am (surprise suprise).

The pages are now so fun to thumb through, to see God's grace to us over these years. I never pictured myself as marry-able before I actually got married, and I love seeing His whole plan in retrospect now. And there was a very long season in this first decade in which I was sure that Pete had gotten the raw end of the deal: I was not at all the same person that I had been when he met me in college. But Pete never balked at the whole bait-and-switch move it appeared I had executed -- he's been just as consistently in love with me and patient with me all along. Even when I have been ugly, mean, incompetent, vulnerable, weak and sorrrowful, he's continued to pursue me. When we got married I remember writing that Pete's love to me was a picture of how I pictured God's to be -- so unconditional. And the past 10 years have only borne that out in greater detail and strength.

I could go on and on (obviously) but I'll just sum up by saying these past 10 years have been a greater blessing to me than I could have ever pictured. And as we are now 1 day into our 2nd decade together, I look forward to more adventures together!

No comments:

Post a Comment