Pages

Monday, August 24, 2009

Last day of summer vacation: Staycation!

Weeks ago Strider had a request: he wondered if we could start school on a Tuesday so that the final Monday would be a "staycation." And by staycation, again, he just meant no chores or responsibilities, and getting to choose his own activities for the day.

I agreed to his terms, and then made a suggestion: a Brady Bunch marathon! This is something I would have LOVED as a kid; Strider asked me why I never did it then, and I reminded him that we didn't have DVD's back then. So, it was exciting for me to have the kids do this today -- even though I didn't get to watch any. We borrowed Season 2 from friends, and I think they have watched 16 episodes! I'm so proud of my over-achievers.

The added bonus, I thought, would be that the kids would be entertained all day and I could get my last-minute plans done.... but here my naivete was blinding. I've spent most of the day doing my work with a squirmy, fussy 6-month old on my lap or hip (including now as I type this), and a 2-year old chirping in my ear about a whole myriad of imaginative things.

This morning had an added twist as well-- our brand-new-to-us washing machine flooded on the very first load of the morning, causing our living room and kitchen ceilings to "rain" for hours. We really did not have time allotted in our schedules to deal with all this! Pete is upstairs tonight banging around on the machine... Hopefully he'll figure something out. Needless to say, though, this has not been a Staycation for Pete and me.

Right before dinner tonight we had our now-annual Back-to-School Treasure Hunt in the backyard. The kids are all excited about their new things for this school year... Gotta get them pumped up somehow!

Right now I'm off to bake my first apple pie of the season. I figure some teachers get apples brought to them, but since I don't see that happening for me, I'll take the apples to the kids. Apple pie for breakfast tomorrow!

As I think about it though..... between all the TV-watching brain-frying from today, and a nice sugary breakfast tomorrow, the kids might be a real mess by the end of their first school day. I feel sorry for their teacher.

2 comments:

  1. Hope the teacher wasn't too shocked at the energy level and attitude of the kids today and all enjoyed their apple pie for breakfast. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. a. i'm truly sorry about your washing machine situation. that sounds awful on many, many levels.
    b. you are the coolest mom ever. a brady bunch marathon? genius. i am jealous of your kids. :)

    ReplyDelete