Pages

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Dream Job(s)

I am very thankful to say that I currently work in my Dream Job.  There is truly no other job I'd rather have.   Buuuutttt.... if I started to fantasize that the grass could be greener on the other side of some fence, or at least just as green, I might be able to come up with a few other careers that look pretty interesting, too.  Yep, as a matter of fact, I have fantasized, and have even compiled my short list!

So, IF I couldn't do the job I'm currently doing, here are the Top 6 I'd love to pursue instead (in theory, of course):

1.  Run an orphanage.  This has always been my dream.

2.  Start a chapter of Catch A Fire locally.  I  heard the story about this organization on NPR recently, and it sounded like the perfect idea for me.  I love to be a matchmaker in any realm, and this organization apparently serves as a matchmaker between professionals with business-related skills who want to do volunteer work, and non-profit organizations who need skilled/professional work done.  I would love to facilitate that!

3.  Work at Wired Magazine, especially on their Table of Contents page. I LOVE those charts!  Finding all those connections and overlaps... very cool.


4.  Work for a home shopping network, helping to determine their pricing and promotional schedules.  HOW do they make those decisions to maximize their revenues???  There are different shows and different prices every day!  I love yield management calculations, and combining them with demographic data of the viewers at different times of day.... That sounds fascinating.

5.  Write essays that people would pay me for(I guess if I want to be a writer, I should change that to, "Write essays for which I would get paid.") How fun it would be write about stuff I am passionate about and then get those words published in magazines like "The Atlantic."  I recently read this article and wished I could write like that (although not about that subject!).

6. Be a bank robber. Since I cannot actually condone stealing, of course, I guess I'd like to work as one of those professionals that companies hire to see if they can break through their security systems. (So I wouldn't actually get to keep the money I stole. Kind of like Catherine Zeta-Jones in "Entrapment") I've always liked the idea of being part of a heist. It's all about the problem-solving skills!

Those are my top 6 -- at the moment anyway.  Someday, if and when I retire from my current gigs, maybe I'll pursue one or more of the above.  Look out world!

1 comment: