Pages

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Thankful for my "job"

I had fun coming up with my "dream job" list... but when it comes down to it, the idea of having to wake up to an alarm clock again every day makes me shudder in horror.  (I do get woken up earlier and far more often that I want to currently, but at least there's always the bit of mystery attached to it ((who, when, why)) -- not the predictable blaring of an obnoxious machine!)

And honestly my current job at home is about as fulfilling as it can be.   A friend of mine forwarded this quote recently, and I think it is all too true:

In exchange
When we traded homemaking for careers, we were implicitly promised economic independence and worldly influence. But a devil of a bargain it has turned out to be in terms of daily life. We gave up the aroma of warm bread rising, the measured pace of nurturing routines, the creative task of molding our families' tastes and zest for life; we received in exchange the minivan and the Lunchable.  --Barbara Kingsolver, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

Even though I did end up with a minivan, I am thankful for the absence of Lunchables, alarm clocks, and overbooked calendars.  And while on some days I feel like my kids' "zest for life" is a little too overwhelming, and the "measured pace of nurturing routines" is replaced with scrambling, nagging and constant re-doing, overall I am so very thankful for the creative task set before me.  Give me home-making any day!

1 comment:

  1. I think I'm coming around to this viewpoint...albeit, very slowly! Have you read Kingsolver's book?

    ReplyDelete