Pages

Friday, April 20, 2012

Nice perk

Pete recently wrote about "entrepreneurial ubiquity" on his blog, talking about all of the little alimentaras that are around our house.  His title is pretty fancy, and he, as usual, is viewing this situation through his economist lenses, but from my perspective as a consumer, it all adds up to one beautiful thing:  I never find myself stuck in the middle of a recipe because I don't have a staple grocery item I need. 

At home in NC, I often would discover I was missing a key ingredient at the most inopportune times, and then either had to scramble the jets and get everyone in the car and head to a store, or wait until Pete came home to bring it to me, or head over to beg shamelessly from a neighbor (as several Lake Park folks can attest to!).

But now when I realize I'm out of butter or onions or milk or something (which happens at least weekly), I can just yell out to Strider to please go run to the store.  He can get to the closest alimentara without even crossing a street!  Less than 2 minutes after I request an ingredient, he is back with it in hand.   He's gotten pretty proficient at pointing out what he wants in the shop and understanding the transaction generally.  Sometimes the shop ladies ask him questions, so he's putting his Romanian lessons to good use.

While I am grateful to have these little shops so close by (and not even over-priced, as American convenience stores often are), Pete, as he mentioned even more enthusiastically, is thankful to also have the local vintner within a minute's walk as well.

So we never have to go without food staples or wine for long at all! 
"Just in time" inventory planning at its best.




No comments:

Post a Comment