Pages

Sunday, November 11, 2012

New (manly) skill

Strider's GateWay year has been going very well.  So far the boys have heard from several men on topics such as wisdom, leadership, respect, manners, knife safety, whittling, and electricity.  This weekend, though, at least in Strider's opinion, involved one of the best skills yet:  shooting guns.

The boys (and dads) trooped out to a friend's house nearby which turns out to be an ideal shooting range.  Pete brought his guns, given to him by his grandfather, and taught the boys all about the differences between them, how to load them, and other gun safety tips.  Then the actual shooting commenced, and from the reports I have heard, it was great fun.



Strider came home bubbling over with enthusiasm -- and awe over what a marksman his father is.  ("How come I never knew this??" he kept asking.)  According to him, Pete hit the targets every single time, while Strider and some of the others struggled a bit.  So now the challenge has been presented and Strider can't wait to go out and try it again!

I love watching my boy become a man, and I love watching my own (marks-)man teach him.

No comments:

Post a Comment