Pages

Sunday, July 26, 2020

Closing doors


While many doors have been closed to all of us this season, metaphorically speaking, I have found myself learning how to close my own doors, physically speaking.

In one of my favorite novels a character is told that Carthusian monks were once taught to pause to carefully close doors after walking through them.  This was a discipline to teach what we would now call mindfulness, I suppose, as it involves slowing down long enough to notice and care.

When we moved into our new house several months ago I noticed that neither the kitchen cabinets nor the appliance doors closed automatically or easily and I had to pay attention a little more to closing them.  I remembered those Carthusian monks and started intentionally enjoying the slowing down process.  Quarantine afforded me that luxury.

Now we are in summertime half-lockdown mode and I still have time – what a gift.  Each task is allotted more time than in the past; it is very rare that I find myself rushing.  Without the rushing and deadlines, there also seems to be less yelling and frustration.  Maybe those Carthusians were on to something.

This strange season has been detrimental in many ways it seems, but there are opportunities to develop new habits.  “Pausing to close doors” will never be a skill I can add to my resume, but I’m hopeful that it is adding to my character -- and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment