Pages

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Bowling and camping: some "firsts" and fun

The past few days have definitely felt like summer, with all the activities we've been packing in. Actually, I should clarify that by saying Pete, Strider and Rayna have had a lot of activity -- Colsen and I have done a lot of staying home.

Strider had been begging to try Bowling sometime, so Pete took him and Rayna to the ol' Alley on Friday for a homeschool outing. Before they set out, Strider announced he was going to try and get "3 outs." We looked at him quizzically, until he explained he was going to try to get 9 "strikes" and every 3 strikes = 1 out. So with his baseball-bowling-logic, they left to conquer this new sport. (Colsen and I stayed home to entertain some long-time family friends -- a fun visit). A few hours later, the bowling trio returned, not quite as triumphant as they had wanted to be, but apparently there were some good rolls anyway. :)

Then over the weekend Pete took the older two camping at Lake Normal State Park. It was Rayna's first opportunity to sleep in a tent, and she loved it -- after she got over her initial confusion when she crawled in at night ("It's So SCARED in here!") From all accounts it sounds like they had a great time swimming and eating all kinds of junk food. They met the Dreschers and Nonna and Poppa there, so there was plenty of excitement all the way around.
Colsen and I had a very nice time at home. As Pete said when he called home, "It would have been nice to have you here, but there is no way I can picture Colsen doing this!"

And then last night Rayna had another first as she, Strider and Pete went roller skating. (I again drew the "Stay home with Colsen card" since I had gone skating the last time. But he and I did venture over for some of the time to watch.) I wish I had brought my camera.... Everyone had fun with our friends the Coles and the Lees, and the guys even participated in some skating races. Rayna keeps saying "I did so well with my roller skating!" and "We had fun doing roller skating!" so I guess it was a hit.

I've been thankful for a husband who likes to do so much with his kids.... and for the nice one-on-one time with Colsen.









No comments:

Post a Comment