Pages

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Published!

No, not me really.... Unless you count SELF-publishing! I finally got around to making a book I've been wanting to make: a year-long scrapbook compiled by our blog. Ever since I started writing blog posts, my grandmother, pretty much weekly, has been saying, "Amy, you need to make sure you're printing all this out! What if it all disappears?"

So, I researched the possibilities, and found my new favorite company, Blurb. After I switched over to Blogger, it became relatively easy to "slurp" everything into the Blurb book-making software, and finally I formatted it enough to order print copies. The results, I have to say are quite cool. I don't think I'll have to do real scrapbooking anymore-- this will take its place. The quality is better than I expected, and the price is reasonable, too (probably less than I might have spent on scrapbooking materials and pictures). I highly recommend this company to all my family-recording blogging friends!

I have one year done now, so next I will continue the arduous process of copying over my old Vox posts into this Blogger site so I can make my 2007 book. And then it should be easy to do 2009 and all the years after.... I hope!

Some sample pages.... (This year's book is 160 pages long!)But speaking of being published, the REAL, actually-published person in our house of course is Peter. Look how cool the flyer was for his book at the conference he just attended:


Unfortunately, even with the 35% discount, the book still costs $75, so we're expecting sales to be slow, but still it's exciting. :)

5 comments:

  1. I've wondered how Blurb books end up looking, so thanks for sharing! Maybe I'll start for next year. I have been using Creative Memories digital scrapbook - have you ever used that, how does it compare to Blurb? I'm wondering if the fact that I tend toward blogging (and I'm more of a words and pictures person anyway - no embellishments) means I would like Blurb. Hmmm... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting!! I really need to do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerry, I've never tried CM digitally... sorry I have no basis of comparison. But Blurb is super-easy -- and you're right, it's great for a lot of words!

    And Melissa, yes, you should!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea. I'm not sure I have enough blog posts to do away with scrapbooking, but I still think it would be neat to have all my blog posts in a book for later in life when I forget how to use a computer...ha... Your book looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. heard about this through my sis so I had to come check it out! Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete