Pages

Saturday, December 12, 2009

A SWEET afternoon

Today Strider, Mom and I all were contestants in the Ballantyne Resort's "Ultimate Cookie and Cupcake Contest."

When I first heard about the contest last month, my first thought was "I need my Mom to enter this with me!" and Strider's first thought was, "I want to enter, too!" Both goals were achieved.

Strider developed his own recipe: Quadruple Chocolate Smiley Cookies. True to its name, it is a chocolate cookie, with the surprise ingredients of cinnamon and oat flour! The results are very tasty, we all agree. Sadly, the judges did not pick it as one of the top ones -- but there were something like 50 entries, 48 of which were made by adults, so he had some stiff competition.

Mom and I made up some "Harvest Holiday Cupcakes" -- a pumpkin-apple cake, with orange cream-cheese frosting. And, as I knew she would do, Mom came up with a gorgeous tablescape display. The judges loved it apparently -- because we came in 2nd place!! We were pretty shocked, because there were a lot of very impressive cupcakes and displays -- some of them even made by professionals. The best part is... we won a one-hour massage and a one-hour facial at the spa there.

So, it ended up being a very rewarding, and festive way to spend the afternoon!

The resort:
The ballroom where the contest was held (Even Santa showed up for the big event):
Strider's entry:
Talking to the judges:
Our cupcake entry (after the judges had eaten a few):

(Maybe we had an advantage -- we were table #7 out of 60, so the judges weren't completely stuffed when they tried ours!)

2 comments:

  1. We had such a fun time! Thanks for including me, Amy!! I was very glad I let Amy do the talking to the judges when they came around to taste-test. They told us at the time of announcing the winners that "bonus points" were sometimes awarded for the contestant's personality! Amy did awesome with them, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is awesome and they look so yummy. Congrats to Strider as well.

    ReplyDelete