Pages

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Mulling

This week Pete and I are facing a rather big decision... whether or not to spend January through June of next year in the poorest country in Europe: Moldova.

So I am writing this post for 2 reasons:  so that anyone reading this would pray for wisdom for us, and so I can look back on my thoughts later and realize (probably) how wrong I was in my assumptions and expectations.

Anyway, at the moment, Pete's pro/con list for going to this country reads basically like this:

PRO's: 
  • Get to teach students hungry to learn about Western ideals, markets, democracy, etc.
  • The country is in a critical position in terms of government, policy, and economics
  • May get to reach people with the Gospel, in a place where it is not commonly known
  • Get to travel on Fulbright's dime
  • Get paid by Fulbright, and even get a book allowance!
  • It's a place we've never been
  • Allows our family to live and learn in a very different culture
CON's:
  • Can't think of any


Whereas my list reads more like this:

CON's:
  • How in the world are we going to schlep 4 kids and all our stuff for 6 months -- including all our winter gear -- to some remote country, awfully close to Asia.
  • Spending time in a former Soviet country in WINTER is not my idea of vacation
  • Apparently the meat and produce are not always "safe" to eat.  So what exactly am I going to cook this family?
  • We know no one there.
  • If someone gets sick, we've been advised to never buy any medicine there because it could mis-labeled, expired, etc. 
  • We won't be able to read labels on anything.
  • Taxi drivers only speak Russian.
  • It's hard to get out of the country in a short amount of time, so weekend trips to the rest of Europe are not really possible.
  • Roads are not great, so any kind of traveling would be hard.
  • It will be cold.  Did I mention that already?
  • Tourism is not exactly a booming industry in the country
  • I'll stop at this point, although I could come up with more.

PRO's:
  • We could build relationships with people in a very different place, and hopefully share the Gospel with them.
  • A cross-cultural experience for the family.
  • Fulbright might pay for our books/curriculum if we homeschool over there.
Clearly Pete and I are not yet on the "same page" with all this.... So please pray that we will get there soon!

3 comments:

  1. We are praying for you! Your brother wants me to be in Afghanistan with him while he is deployed and I'd do it in a heartbeat even though it is crazy hot over there...but again. I know I don't like to be in cold either...but sounds like once in a life time opportunity! May the Lord gives you clear guidance on this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be praying this week for you, Amy! Praying for unity and a clear picture of what God's will is for this situation!

    Interestingly enough, we may also be facing a similar decision here - there is a slim chance that Dave will be offered a year long opportunity to work in Italy. We're very early on in thinking about it, but I share all the feelings you wrote about. It seems overwhelming when there is so much to consider in terms of moving the entire family! The only thing I'm praying for us at this point is that God's will is clear to us when the time comes, and that His peace accompanies our decision.

    I'll be praying that for you, too!
    Steph

    ReplyDelete