Pages

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

While Daddy's in Turkey, the turkeys play

Peter has spent the last 10 days in Turkey with a bunch of Wingate students as part of a course they did together this spring.  It sounds like they've been having a fantastic time, visiting sites in both the European and Asian parts of the country.  As I write this, they are currently flying over the Atlantic headed home, so the kids and I are counting down the hours.

I had braced myself for the predictable chaos and broken appliances that usually accompany Pete's long absences, but it has been relatively calm, actually!  I did place one midnight-call to the nurse hotline this past week, and we've had a few minor injuries, but nothing major.  This whole kids-getting-older thing is quite nice!

There were a few times the kids got a little out of control... .like when I found 2 of the kids tied up to trees in our front yard, with this sign being waved at any cars going by:





And I almost had a heart attack when I saw this guy trying to fix a rope swing he had created by doing this:



 And there was a time when I was asked:


“Mom, can you take a picture of my butt-face [brother drew a face on his butt with a marker] and put it on Facebook?”

(I declined.)

And there was a low-point on Friday when I was ready to melt-down about 46 times that day.  I chalk that up to sleeplessness.  It's a little challenging when the youngest child wakes up between 5:30 and 6:30 many days, and the oldest child doesn't go to sleep until around midnight many nights.  There are not enough quiet/sleep hours at night for the chaperone!

But overall, it was a fun week.  I even had my house cleaned for free, and a friend brought us a wonderful dinner -- and beautiful flowers!

We also went strawberry picking a couple times, once with friends and once with some cute cousins...


...And enjoyed a meaningful Memorial Day ceremony in our neighborhood.


Of course, I've also enjoyed plenty of quality time with my kiddos.  (My brother Dan always likes to point out what a gift that is to me when Pete goes out of town.)  I thought maybe all that quality time had paid off when Miles started the conversation below:

Miles:  You’re the BEST MOM EVER.
Me:  Well, probably not.
Miles:  [chuckle] Yeah, probably not.  But… who IS the best mom ever?
Me:  I don’t know.
Miles:  IS it you??
Me:  No, I don’t think so.
Miles:  Yeah, it’s probably someone famous, and you’re not famous.  Wait --are you?  Or is Dad famous?
Me:  No, neither one.  Is that disappointing to you?
Miles:  Yeah.  I’m going to be famous when I grow up

So, it's been a good 10 days.  But we're looking forward to seeing Daddy tonight!



No comments:

Post a Comment