Pages

Sunday, September 6, 2009

More from this family circus


Our kids are taking this commandment to heart, and it's one that they don't find too difficult to obey! Some examples...

*I asked Strider to take out a pile of scraps to our compost pile recently. After he came back in, I saw the scraps still on the counter, and asked him what had happened. "Ohhhhh," he said, "I took out that the other stuff!"
"The chicken??" I asked -- I had laid out a package of chicken to be cooked. "Go get it! I need that!"
He started laughing uproariously at his mistake and then said, "It feels like we're on a TV show. That kind of stuff happens on Brady Bunch all the time!"

*One result of teaching our kids with the classical model of education is that they learn a bunch of facts, terms, etc., at a young age that they may not understand. (The idea is that when they get to an age when they will understand them, they will already have the vocabulary/framework in place) So, Rayna's head is chock-full of all kinds of lists and facts. It was clear that some of the "filing" of these facts was getting crossed up the other day.... She came across a map of the United States and her face lit up in memory of all the states she learned last year. I was thrilled and couldn't wait to hear what knowledge she was about to bring forth... until she pointed at Nebraska and yelled, "It's Obadiah!"

*Last week when I was sitting near a window sill in the kitchen on which some of our garden tomatoes were ripening, Strider got a gleam in his eye and said, "I'm not going to tell you what I'm about to do.... but if this was a blog post, it would be Tags: tomatoes, bruises." Thanks to my ingenious mind-reading skills, though, that blog post will not exist.

*I asked Pete the other day, "Did Colsen say anything funny to you today?" and he laughed and said, "He says funny stuff all the time!" This is very true... we are always saying, "Man, I wish we had just videoed that." So I finally did get the camera out one afternoon last week, and captured these little bits at least...




1 comment: