Pages

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

My ideal home (on earth)

As I've been learning more about the Old Testament holy days that would have taken place this month, I've decided to re-read the Psalms of Ascent (#120-134), since they may have been read as part of the tradition leading up to the Feast of Tabernacles.

It struck me right away how relevant this was for me when I read the first verse of the first one: "I call on the Lord in my distress, and He answers me. Save me, O Lord, from lying lips and from deceitful tongues." (Psalm 120:1)

I have felt "distress" over the last several days, and some of it, at least, may be due to some lies I let myself believe. Probably not coincidentally, the sermon in church on Sunday was about one of these lies and it hit right home: We like to build "utopia" here on earth, not fully realizing that our Hope needs to be in Heaven alone. As Dean pointed out, we like to try to build our perfect lives, situations, etc., here, and it never works out.

As he was talking, I immediately thought of a list I had started composing earlier, entitled "My Dream Home." Pete and I have been trying to decide whether or not to refinance our mortgage, and we have been advised to only do so if we know we're going to stay in our current house "long-term." So this, of course, has started a whole new round of discussions about where we want to be "long-term." As my frustration and confusion mounted over this, I decided to get my wants down on paper. As the list developed, I quickly saw some problems...

I would like a house that is:

… old, like over 100 years old, maybe Craftsman style, very unique and with fun quirks to explore-- but with new, efficient, very-big windows and large closets. And high ceilings. And not a lot of things that break or wear out or need replacing.

…out in the country, tucked away so our family can grow strong in love for each other, but also located right in the middle of things, like on a road where an annual small-town parade would go.

…also located within 5-10 minutes of Target and grocery stores, our church, and our friends, and also in the same college town where Pete teaches, so we can have students over regularly. (The town happens to be between 20 and 30 minutes away from the aforementioned things)

… in a settled community full of front-porches and multiple generations, with roots, in a community where we can walk to everything and be with people not like us. Preferably in Stuckeyville (from the TV show “Ed”).

… with a yard that has huge maple trees, or other good climbing trees. And wide open spaces for running around. And a forest for exploring, and possibly a creek. But no big bugs or snakes or rodents or any other living creatures that will creep me out.

… in a setting where we can influence our community in a positive way, but not have others in the community have a negative influence on our children.

Yes, the contradictions and impossibilities are clear. And it is evident I am trying to build an ideal that cannot exist here on earth --hence, my frustration. I've been trying to buy a lie.

(I also made similar lists about how I want to educate my children, the things I want to pursue, and the work I want to do... and there were contradictions and impossibilities on all the lists!)

So I guess the first step for me here is to recognize the lies I try to live by, and wash them out with Truth. It's good to know that, like in the Psalm, when I call out in distress, "He answers me." Back to my theme song I must go: "Lead me on and let me run after You!"

(But, if anyone knows of a house that fits a lot of the criteria above, and it's for sale, do let me know!)

1 comment:

  1. Love your house list, Honey!! I concur that it sounds really great! But then again -- the utopia thing............but I still do think that the Lord's plants desires in our hearts that He does want to bring about in our lives..........but the challenge is to weed out the desires that are not from Him!!

    ReplyDelete