Pages

Thursday, September 3, 2009

My poor kids

Today I realized I had more produce in the fridge than I could use before it would go bad, so I decided to puree a big bag of kale, to freeze for later. I added some frozen peas (that I steamed) to the blender as well, figuring I could make a mixture that could later be snuck into some pasta sauce or something.

The kids, finishing their lunch, were watching this with rapt attention, and asked me if I was making a smoothie. Hmmmmm...... My friend Catharine had just told me that she loves drinking smoothies with kale in them... maybe I could give this a try! So I added some orange juice, a banana, and a little honey, and offered it to the kids to drink.

The boys just wanted a "small sample," not ready to commit by any means. Rayna, wouldn't even touch it. Strider finally got enough courage to try it and said, "Huh, it's pretty good!" Colsen followed, and semi-agreed.

After a few more sips, Strider said, "I think this would be better if it wasn't so WARM!"

I didn't know I had given them warm drinks... I guess the peas hadn't cooled enough from when I steamed them!

I refrained from yelling "GROSS" like I wanted to, and promptly added some ice cubes to the green sludge. Now the boys really liked it! And they pressured Rayna into trying "Just one sip" -- which she did, and then drank her whole cup!

I guess we're onto something new here... I had no idea these guys would drink kale and peas. Of course, Strider thinks wheat germ is a flavoring that he likes to add to things, and Colsen was eating a lemon, rind and all, moments after the smoothie, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. :)

But I'm gonna run with this while I can!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that sounds so gross. Wonder if my kids would drink it.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. We called those Shrek smoothies when my kids were younger :) Absolutely run with it!!!

    ReplyDelete