Pages

Friday, January 22, 2010

Bread, pie, gumballs-- and Oakley: recent conversations

After I served the kids some homemade bread while it was still warm, Strider said, "This is the best. I love it when it's still warm."
I said, "You know, Buddy, maybe when you're grown up, you'll look back and think this is one of your favorite childhood memories: eating nice warm bread right after I make it in the afternoon." (Still wanting to be that idyllic Mom that my kids remember as June Cleaver)
Strider thought for a second, and then said, "No. Disney World is way better."


Even though I am clearly NOT June Cleaver, I still feel appreciated sometimes... One day last week, Colsen leaned over and gave me a side hug and said, "I'm thankful for you, Mom. So you can have a gumball every day -- and all day -- and at night and on Sundays. If I could reach 'em, I'd give you some."


When I took Rayna to the Post Office recently, she was busy taking in all the various details of the environment. As we were leaving, she pointed at a sign and said, "That's like Uncle James!" I couldn't figure out what she was talking about, until I realized she was pointing to the metal base of the sign -- it was in the shape of a black oval, like this:


She has obviously never seen James without him sporting the Oakley logo. As our friend Andy says, James must be the only Oakley-sponsored I-T person he knows.


Rayna recently "clapped" Colsen's cheeks a little too hard, and as he came to me in tears, he said, "I got hurt! I almost didn't growed up to be a man because I almost broke into a bunch of pieces and my cheeks almost fell off!" Poor guy.



Strider asked me the other day, "Is there a second in your life when you are exactly the same age as Pi?? I mean EXACTLY." I told him I guessed there was.... We calculated that Colsen had just passed the day he turned Pi around December 27th (I think). But when I told Strider that I was just using Pi as 3.14159, he was very disappointed. He wants it to be EXACT. Then he tried to explain to Colsen that he had just been Pi... and of course Colsen wanted to know when he could have the pie... and the consternation continues...


We haven't been out much this week, due to colds, etc., but there still seems to be enough entertainment around here anyway. :)

1 comment:

  1. Children are so funny! Sweet Colsen--he would give you gumballs if he could reach them!

    ReplyDelete