Pages

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Snowy weekend

Waking up to a snowy Saturday morning was very exciting, of course. And after about a hundred requests to "go out and play in the snow" by 9 a.m., the kids got geared up and ready to go out. Miles thought all the garb was very entertaining:


The older 3 had a blast outside sledding on our hill that ends, not so conveniently, in a pond. A few of the neighbor kids got pretty wet, but thankfully none of ours fell in...

Miles had to content himself with watching from inside. Even though the snow only comes once or twice a year here, I'm still not fascinated by it enough to bundle up and get out there myself. Had my fill from 22 years in the great snow belt up North.

After a couple of active days outside, we also had some active family dinners -- don't let this somber-looking photo fool you.
Last night we introduced the kids to one of my old favorite bands that Pete found on his iPod: Hokus Pick. And it turns out I still love their music! Trey, if you're reading this, we told Strider all about how we brought the group and Steve Taylor to Grove City -- he thought that was pretty cool.

Then as we were cleaning up from dinner, suddenly the house was filled with the voice of our good friend Howard Cole. He was preaching a sermon, one that we've enjoyed before.... Turns out Howard follows Hokus alphabetically on Pete's iPod. Even though he sounded pretty different from the music we had just been enjoying, we were happy to hear him, too. :)

Other indoor fun this weekend has included cozy time around the fireplace, a board game with a neighbor friend, and some long over-due house-cleaning (which led to the frustrating phenomenon of having a clean house and not being able to invite anyone over because of the roads!). Then, a highlight of the weekend: roasting marshmallows...



And as the cherry on top of the roasted marshmallow sundae... Strider heard, and then announced to us, that there is no school tomorrow for the public schools! After we all got over our complete bewilderment, I assured the kids that Poplar Streams Academy would in fact be session. Strider immediately started bargaining for "at least a 2-hour delay"... which I have to admit is tempting. We'll see.

Regardless, everyone has already agreed that this was one of the BEST weekends.

2 comments:

  1. Amy, I love the look of bundled up babies... Neither I or the 3 older kids ventured outside since 3 years in a row was enough for us too! Our boys are having school too... too bad for them... Grace Academy was called off too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,
    Loved your kind words on my blog. Thank you. Yes, it is amazing how a marriage can work. I am so grateful for mine. This whole cancer thing has already shown me so much. I dont' feel mad or even sad these days. I know I will be fine and this is just part of my journey. I have to be open to the lessons I am supposed to learn from it.
    kathy

    ReplyDelete