Pages

Friday, May 14, 2010

Soundtrack

While Pete's been gone this week, the kids and I have been having a mostly-fun, always-interesting time together. We spent a few days at my parents' house, which was a nice break. (I always like having my mom cook for me!) And the rest of the time we've been just home.

Some of the time there is way too much screaming and general noise, but then I hang up the phone, and things get quieter. And sometimes there are nice, melodious sounds... such as the attempts at music a few of them have made this week. For example:

Milo was able to climb up here courtesy of the "baby house" constructed by... you guessed it...
Colsen used many tools in its assembly, and I kept hearing him yell out things like, "This baby house is looking GREAT!" Miles definitely appreciated it.

Today, the euphonious notes were emanating from this child-created instrument, christened the oboe-piano-violin if I understood Cole correctly... Rayna's got the rhythm for it anyway...



And in between the musical symphonies, I've been able to be entertained by some of the comments made, such as...

Me: Alright guys, let's get ready to go to Firehouse Subs! (It was Kids-eat-free-Wednesday!)
Cole: Ok, you know what I want? Do you think they have a turkey-vegetable-quiche? Because doesn't that sound good?
(As far as I know, the boy has never even eaten quiche... I didn't even know he had heard of quiche. I was hoping he would just settle for grilled cheese.)

***

Rayna: Where's the stuff to take out to the compost pile?
Strider: In the calendar. Oh, I mean COLander. That's funny -- I said calendar, like I have a Southern accent! And I wasn't even born as a Southerner.
And after a pause,
Mom, why do people have different accents in the different places they live? Is it because of the air there or something?
Good question!

Tomorrow we'll be adding a new voice to the choir here... Pete's mom is coming. The kids are very excited to see Gee-Gee!

No comments:

Post a Comment