Pages

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Date night

Our local Chick-Fil-A held a Mother-Son Date "Knight" this evening, and Colsen was my date!  He's such a charmer.
He even wanted to pick me some flowers. :)

I wish I could have recorded a transcript of our conversations in the car on the way to the restaurant, but I'll just include here a few excerpts:

Me:  Colsen, do you know how to treat a lady on a date?
Colsen:  No...
Me:  Ok, you should tell her she looks pretty, and you should ask her questions about herself, and you should look her in the eye, and --
Colsen:  But what if I have to look at 2 things at once??
Me:  Well, you don't have to look her in the eye the whole time.
Colsen:  Oh.
Me:  .... And, on a date, you should open the doors for her, and maybe bring her flowers, and pay for your meal and her meal --
Colsen:  Wait, what if I forget to do all this??
Me:  Don't worry... I'll keep reminding you.

{Extended conversation here in which Colsen wanted to know what Pete did when he took me on dates}

Me:  And Cole, do you realize that somewhere in the world there might be a little girl growing up right now who you will want to date someday because you will marry her?
Colsen:  Really?
Me:  Yes, we should pray for her, right?  Let's do that right now.
Colsen:  Ok
Me:  Father, we pray for the little girl that's out there right now that will be Colsen's wife.  We pray that you protect her and teach her and guide her and give her wisdom and contentment...... Amen
Colsen:  Mom, are you crying?
Me:  Umm, a little.
Colsen:  Mom!  There's no crying on dates!
Me:  Ok, you're right.
Colsen:  Even if you're talking about a little girl and you're just really happy, you still don't cry on a date!

Soon after that, we arrived at our destination -- and how cool it was!  The restaurant was transformed with a medieval castle theme, complete with servers dressed as princesses and knights.  It was very festive!

 Oh -- and the cow was there, too.
 Colsen got to make a family crest... and best of all, got a free milkshake.
 He also got his picture taken -- with one of the lovely princesses, and then with his current lady.  He took it all very seriously. 


At the end of the date, he remembered to open my car door for me and was so proud of himself... but then we realized I had to help him buckle up in the back seat, so it was a little complicated.

I loved my special date with my handsome gentleman!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, this is just precious! I love that you pray for his future wife, as I do also for all my kids future spouses. My grandmother taught me to pray for my future husband when I was about 12 years old. It was so cool to meet Randy and realize I had been praying for him for many years. Seet story...you're a terrific mom!

    ReplyDelete