Pages

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Expensive age

Over the last few months I've realized that I've been spending more money than I ever have on things like skincare and make-up.  This fact has not slipped by Pete, either.  So last night we were having a nice little conversation about it, and I shared with him my philosophy (not my Philosophy products... just my perspective).

The way I figure it, early in my life I didn't spend much money on my appearance.  This was mainly due to 2 reasons:  1.) I didn't have much money  and,  2.)  I was young:  I didn't have wrinkles, didn't have these gray circles under my eyes, and didn't have this permanent intertube around my waist.  I was still making collagen in my face, and was not yet making cellulite elsewhere.

And, also the way I figure it, I may end up not spending much money on improving my look once I'm officially OLD.  Sooner or later I'll have to give in to a wrinkly face, right?  And I'll switch to elastic-waistband pants from Wal-Mart and call it a day.

But right now, I consider myself in between.  I'm not young, but I'm not completely old yet either.  And these are the years that count!  I'm not ready to give in to the encroaching gray hairs and deepening "laugh lines."  There is still battle to be fought on this frontier!  So, now is when the dollars must be spent, in my view.
Here is my graphic representation of this:

As I explained to Pete, I am at the point indicated by the star above - at the peak of my "beauty" spending. (Hopefully this is the peak, anyway....  although if I ever break down and start having my hair colored professionally, I guess there could be a whole new slope to ascend.... Well, I didn't bring that up.)

Pete just sighed and shook his head resignedly as I told him I was in the critical period.  And his response was, "Ok.  As long it only lasts for this Fall."

Ummmmm...... I think the time frame will be slightly longer than that....  But I just smiled, and tried to look pretty.  And glowing, and radiant, and thin, and wrinkle-free.  Just like all the packages say.




2 comments:

  1. Oh, thanks for that little chuckle...ok, more like rolling laughter! I can so relate, although methinks you are way too young to be worrying about this! I hit that "peak" when I hit forty and for a couple of years after. Now I think I'm flying down that right hand side...Hardly caring WHAT my face looks like, or just how gray my hair is quickly becoming. Hope to see you in person someday soon...I'm certain you are as lovely as ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so funny, Amy! I've been thinking these very same things - we're so often on the same wavelength, even though we are miles apart! I'm going to try your reasoning on Josh...and going by what we see on your blog - you still look young and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete