Pages

Sunday, December 15, 2013

First Debate Tournament

This year Strider has been putting his superb arguing skills to good use by participating in a Debate Club (and also daily practicing with his parents).  Yesterday was his first tournament and it was a whole new world for both of us.

  First of all, it was the first time he has donned a full suit -- ever, I think.
So handsome -  and annoyed I'm taking his picture

 Besides that, the tournament was pretty cool, too.  :) There were two big categories of competition: speech and debate.  As one of the officials reminded us, these kids are all pretty impressive since they are all willingly doing something most people fear more than death: public speaking!

Of course he wouldn't let me take more pictures, so I had to keep sneaking them.
 All of the kids in his age group for debate are arguing whether or not video games are more beneficial than harmful this year, so they came prepared with arguments for both sides.  For each match, a coin was flipped to see which side each team would argue and who would go first.  There are all kinds of complicated rules and timing... I didn't follow all of it.  But I did enjoy watching my boy speak as a confident and logical orator.
Photos taken surreptitiously from my iPad

Strider and his partner debated three rounds and at the end of the day the results were tabulated and they came in first!  (There were only 3 teams in his group, but still it was an exciting win.)


This was the beginning (practice) tournament for the year.  Beginning in February, the real season begins, so we'll see how it goes!  I'm so thankful for this opportunity for him to learn and grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment