Pages

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Look out Egypt!


While we were memorizing a poem called "Try, Try Again" recently, we got to a line that says, "..For if you will persevere, you will conquer, never fear, Try, try again."
Strider interrupted to say, "I want to conquer Egypt."
"What??" I asked
"I want to conquer a country. Plus Egypt hasn't had anything interesting happen to it since the ancient times, so I want to, you know...."
"Give them some more interesting "history" in current times?" I asked.
"YES!" he shouted. "It's been too boring there for a long time."

He's been VERY into his "Story of the World" history CD's. He has a 7-CD set that narrates history of the ancient world, and he begs to listen to it. In fact, when he gets disciplined for doing something wrong, sometimes we've been known to tell him he's not allowed to listen to the CD's that day! He's already listened to the whole set and wants to start over and do it again.

So all this history interest has spilled over into his playtime too, and by default, Rayna has to participate. There are many days when I hear things like,
"Ok, I'm KING CYRUS! And I am going to try and conquer.... Alexander the Great! Rayna, you be Alexander the Great. Oh, no. I can't conquer him. I'm dead. But at least Alexander the Great is going to die soon too! Mom, did you know how Alexander the Great dies? He might have been poisoned, but... [very long story follows]"


Read and post comments |
Send to a friend



No comments:

Post a Comment