Pages

Monday, October 15, 2007

Missing the "big guys"


Pete and Strider have been gone for a long weekend, and we are missing them!  They went to Ohio, primarily to see an Ohio State football game with Pete's parents, and by all reports, they have been having a blast.   Strider calls every few hours to tell us what other exciting things they have been doing... or what good foods he's been eating.   Here are some of the conversations we've been having by phone:


 


Strider:  Mom, guess what!  You're not going to believe this.  It's only half-time and Ohio State is winning 35-0!  Can you believe it?!?


Me:  Oh, that sounds like it might be a boring game.


S:  What????!!!  It's great!  We're killing them!!!


Me:  Well, I'm glad you're having fun.


S:  Wait... Mom?  I can't quite hear you because of all the cheering.  Hold on a minute, ok?  Mom, this whole stadium is filled with Ohio State fans!


Me:  There aren't any fans for the other team?


S:  Well, there might be a few.  But I would say it's at least 95% Ohio State fans.  It's incredible.


 


Strider:  Mom, guess what!  We had quite an adventure today in the woods.  We were trying to find the apple orchard, but we never found it.  We walked and walked and walked for 45 minutes or an hour, and then we were LOST.


[Pete in the background:  We're weren't lost.]


Strider:  Ok, we weren't lost.  We just didn't know where we were.


 


Rayna:  HI STRIDER!!!!!


Strider:  Hey Rayna!!!


Rayna:  What are you doing??


Strider:  Just playing in Ohio.


Rayna:  Can you come home with me?


Strider:  Rayna, I'll be home in a couple days, ok?  You get to play at Nonna's house though.


Rayna:  Ok.  I love you.


Strider:  I love you, too.


[Me in the background: sob]


 


Before they left last week, we were eating lunch one day and Strider announced, "I'm really looking forward to the plane ride TO Grandpa and Gee-Gee's house.  But I'm not looking forward to the flight home."  I asked him why not and he said, "Because that means the trip will be over and there won't be anything to look forward to."


I said, "But won't you be looking forward to seeing us?  We won't have seen each other for 4 days!"


He said, "Mo-om, 4 days is not that long.  I could go, like, 2 weeks without seeing you!   Well, maybe not quite 2 weeks, but longer than 4 days."


 


But, when I talked to him this morning, it sounded like he missed us anyway.  And we are definitely looking forward to seeing them tonight.   I took this picture before they left....  Doesn't Strider look so old?  My baby is growing up.  I think the guys had a good time bonding this weekend.  Pete had made up an acronym with Strider's name full of words for what it means to "be a man" and they were going to talk about that on the trip.  Overall, a good weekend.


 









 


 


 


 


Read and post comments |
Send to a friend



No comments:

Post a Comment