Pages

Thursday, June 18, 2009

One reason my brain gets so mushy

There are a lot of things about being a mom that I find difficult, and even more things that I find rewarding. But one of the most frustrating aspects is how it has severely depleted my brain capacity. I find it very challenging to just think in a straight line... to finish a thought before another one interrupts it, twists it in a knot and throws it away.

Part of the reason for this, I think, is that we moms have a lot to manage. There are a lot of situations that need our attention, people who need us to hear their joys, complaints and stories, and entropy that needs to be fought.

But on top of all that, we have to answer so many questions in a day! I started thinking about this recently -- how I am called to provide answers over and over and over -- and decided I would actually count how many questions I answer in a day.

So, over a 2-day period, I did just that -- counted how many question marks were thrown my way. I did NOT count all of the rhetorical questions, demands, repeated questions, or crying squawks from the baby -- only real, actual questions. I also did NOT count all of the questions coming from people outside this family -- so nothing I got asked on the phone or through email. Just real, live, in-house questions.

And the average, for ONE DAY, was approximately 216.

In the span of the 13 hours that I and my children are awake, I get asked about 216 questions. That means, that in a week's time, I must answer someone over 1400 times. And in a year, that's... wait, let me switch over to Excel... 73,000 questions. And, starting next year when Miles may begin adding to the conversation, that number may actually go UP! This, I must say, is daunting for a brain-depleted, decision-making-challenged person such as me.

The questions in this period of analysis ranged from the mundane ("Do you want my pickle?") to the trivial-pursuit type ("Who is the mayor of Lake Park?") to the more complicated ("If we have a President, why do we need a Mayor?")... But all of them required an answer.

I did notice some patterns... here is my estimation of how the questions broke out:




And here are how my answers sorted out:

This analysis has served a couple of purposes for me.

1.) It let me use Excel and charts... something my depleted brain gets starved for sometimes.

2.) It helped me to conclude why it is that I feel like such a dingbat much of the time: When a person has to say "I don't know" over 100 times a day, it becomes a self-fulfilling cycle! I know less and less and less...

I would have some other, stellar conclusions I'm sure... if someone wasn't asking me something right now...

5 comments:

  1. Amy...I can totally relate! I was just telling Tom this same thing yesterday after fielding questions about robots (perhaps the reason why so many answers are "I don't know") during 40 minutes of total drive time to and from swim lessons yesterday. AND I only have 1 child asking questions. Although, I wonder if that one child asks almost as many questions as your three since he's not sharing ask time with others. Happy question answering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That explains so much. I really thank you for explaining to me why I know nothing. Great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting this-I must confess, I said 3 or 4 times today "Don't ask me anything right now." and as soon as he got home. "GO ask your Dad." The questions today were making me twitch. Hopefully, I will see them more positively in the future.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Amy,
    I've been reading your blog for a while now (sorry for lurking!) - Melanie had given me the web address a while ago. Anyways, I had to comment on this post because I can totally appreciate your situation and the effort you went to in order to analyze it! I feel so scatterbrained sometimes! However, I've always blamed my apparent lack of brain cells since having children to the fact that every member of my family expects me to know the exact location of every single thing we've ever brought into our household. And they expect me to know at all times how much is left of every food item in the house! Just think of all the things our "mom" brains manage these days!

    I have been enjoying your blog and getting to know you all over again through it! Come visit me at my blog at www.ledbytheshepherd.wordpress.com

    Stephanie (Franke)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post made my day!

    ReplyDelete