Pages

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Toilet Brush Plan

The Problem: I still cannot figure out a way to get our toilets clean without the use of a toilet brush. I've tried those flushable scrubby things, but they just don't do a good enough job long-term.

The Challenge: How to keep a toilet brush in the house without it being touched and/or used for any other purpose. The only place I have found to store such brush is behind the toilet. However, anything on any floor surface anywhere in the house appears to be "fair game" for use as a toy by children under the height of 4 feet tall.

The Players: A few children under the height of 4 feet tall, and an experienced mom.

The Plan:

Step 1: Buy a cheap toilet brush at Ikea.
Step 2: Let the children carry it around the store triumphantly, pretending whatever they want to with it, with the hope that the novelty of this new toy will wear off.
Step 3: Set the still-clean, unused toilet brush behind the toilet at home in its new spot, expecting that the children will come find it, play with it, etc., until the novelty wears off. Wait 3-4 weeks.
Step 4: After seeing diminished play activity with the brush, actually use it to clean the toilets.

And because I am an experienced mom now, I have added Step 5:
Step 5: Expect to see, on the very next day, the toilet brush being used as a wand, hairbrush, toothbrush, dog brush, or mixing spoon by one of the children. Realize the home and children will never be as clean and sanitary as one would wish.

I performed Step 4 yesterday, so I’m just waiting to see how Step 5 manifests today…

If anyone has any suggestions for the plan and/or solutions to this problem, please do let me know!

5 comments:

  1. Yuck--I'm right with you on this one. Molly has to get through quite a little obstacle course to get to ours, but she still manages. I think the fact that I freak out every time she gets a hold of it makes her want it all the more! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to mention that she typically brings it to me and says "yuck! no, no!" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, i am afraid to type this out loud, but no one has ever touched ours. (yes, i know they will now.) but my vote for this one is to close your eyes and pretend it didn't happen...whenever it does. sometimes it's just better not to know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the easiest problem ever. If your kids are all under 4 feet tall, put the toilet brush in a place that is more than 4 feet high.
    Alternative solution: put the toilet brush in a closet and lock the door. Put the key in a place that is more than 4 feet high.

    - Dan (720 GMAT)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oddly enough once I explained exactly what I did witht he toilet brush they left it alone. Just make sure your explanation is good and gross. Now that I have said that I am sure they'll start playing with it. hmmm

    ReplyDelete