Pages

Monday, November 1, 2010

Halloween, brought to you by the Letter D -- or not.

This year, as the kids were choosing their costumes, I had the same old hope I always have -- that they would find some sort of theme that they could all participate in together (I always think group costumes are the best!). But, of course, with all the strong opinions we have around here, I knew this was not likely to be in the cards.

Then, Strider announced he wanted to be Albus Dumbledore (from the Harry Potter books), and Colsen declared he would be a Dragon. The only costume I could find that would fit Miles was a Dog, and Rayna was undecided... The best theme I could come up with that tied all these together was the Letter D! That was good enough for me.

Rayna kept putting on old lady clothes, so we finally settled on her being a Darling Dame. (Or Dame Doris, as Pete called her, since she reminded him of his grandmother!) Miles happily donned his Dog costume. And Colsen was the dangerous Dragon he desired. In the meantime, however, Strider had decided he no longer was going to be Dumbledore, and instead would be Professor Snape (also from the books). So my theme dreams were dashed.... but he looked dashing anyways. :) His friends Sam and Chris came over, to make a full trio of Harry Potter characters. So it was a fun evening for everyone!

(Except sort of for me... I still do not like Halloween! But I do it anyway... and the costume part IS fun...And visiting with the neighbors is nice, too... I guess it's not all bad. :) I still like our tradition of playing hide-and-seek in the dark, with flashlights, for All Saints Day better.)

1 comment:

  1. I'm not big on Halloween either. I don't mind the costumes most times, but when the girls start stressing me out over what to wear, that's when I'm done with it. Davis was EASY this year - he wanted to be IronMan...and we decided not to Trick or Treat this year either. Instead we went to the last night of revival at our church. I found that to be much more enjoyable for everyone. Davis still donned his IronMan suit at preschool though.

    ReplyDelete