Pages

Thursday, July 28, 2011

A morning in "Busytown?"

This morning, as I was out for a walk, I came upon some landscapers who had gotten in quite a pickle.  One of them had apparently banked their very wide and cumbersome riding mower too close to the edge of the pond.... and it had slipped right in the water.  So there were 4 men, clearly partly amused and partly befuddled, trying to determine their next course of action.  I wished I had my camera with me -- my boys would have loved to have seen this.  Rayna would have shrieked.

After awhile, our friendly garbage collectors came by in their truck, saw the predicament, turned the truck around, and came to offer some help.  Meanwhile, both of the stylists who work in our neighborhood hair salon were driving by in their cars on the way to open up the shop.  Sharon and Diane both stopped to check it all out, but like me, had little to offer in the muscle department.  Sharon eventually drove on -- can't keep the shaggy-haired customers waiting after all!  But Diane stayed, and knowing her as I do, I assume she was probably praying for them fervently and audibly in her car.

Well, eventually those hapless landscapers rigged up a way to get their awkward machine out of the pond, and on my second lap by the area, I could see smiling faces all the way around -- and hear Diane exuberantly clapping from her car! 

Maybe I've been reading too many Richard Scarry books to the kids lately, but something about the cheerful-but-accident-prone landscapers, helpful garbage collectors, and cheering hair stylists made me feel as if I was living in the pages of a Busytown book. 

I'm not sure which character I was... probably Lowly the Worm, considering how (not) helpful I was on the scene.  But later today I plan to be more like Able Baker Charlie.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment