Pages

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Consumer Product Packaging: A Game!

When I teach an Intro to Marketing course, we always spend some time talking about product packaging and why/how marketers choose the materials and wording for wrapping and labeling the goods.  So I've been intrigued by some of the packaging we've found in this country.  And I've also been completely bewildered by some of the packaging -- as a non-native consumer.  Some of the shapes and methods are so, well, foreign to me.

For example, if I went to the store looking for mayonnaise, I would not normally look on the shelf for a bag.  But that's how it comes here!
As it turns out, there are actually many products sold in bags that I would not expect.  In some ways the bags are easier to deal with than jars, etc. ... but not necessarily all the time.  Yogurt in a bag, for instance, takes some getting used to.

I thought maybe some of my friends/relatives reading this might enjoy trying to figure out what some of the products are, based on the packaging. 

So here's the game:  Guess the product!  If anyone can correctly identify the 9 basic consumer products I have pictured below, you winAnd your prize will be a very special treat that I make out of some of these items... but you must come pick it up.  :)

Let's see who can get these right...




 ...and one of my favorites:

Any thoughts or guesses?

4 comments:

  1. Alright, here are my guesses:
    1) potato chips
    2) butter
    3) cake mix
    4) mustard
    5) milk
    6) yeast
    7) some kind of herbal seasoning
    8) either gel or conditioner
    9) shaving cream?? is that to obvious an answer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1- powdered sugar
    2- butter
    3- powdered milk
    4- cheese
    5- Sour cream (or perhaps yogurt)
    6- Yeast
    7- dried herbs
    8- conditioner
    9 - Men's shaving cream

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm probably going to be way off, but here goes...
    1. Potatoes
    2. Butter
    3. Powdered Sugar
    4. Chicken Broth (didn't want to copy off Catrin)
    5. Yogurt (Sour Cream would be my 2nd guess)
    6. Yeast
    7. Dill Weed
    8. Hair Gel
    9. Shaving Cream

    Matthew thinks #1 looks like doughnuts :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. (not looking at the previous answers, I'm going to say):
    1. cane sugar
    2. flour
    3. powdered sugar
    4. mustard
    5. milk
    6. flour
    7. dill weed (for the Veggie Tales)
    8. pomade (though I'm a Dapper Dan man)
    9. shaving cream

    ReplyDelete