Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

A hopeful place

Yesterday I wrote about the tuberculosis kindergarten I visited, which left me feeling very sad and helpless as I wondered not only about the present conditions for the children, but also about where they would go afterwards. But another place I visited has given me hope. This home for older children is not state-run, but does work in partnership with various governmental agencies, which place the kids there. Many of the residents were former street kids, or came from situations of abuse or even human trafficking. I knew all of this going in, and was a little anxious about what the home would be like.

Just like in the kindergarten, the woman whom I met with seemed quite pleased I was there. She was happy to tell me all about the various programs and activities they have for the kids and then she took me on a tour of the buildings. There are about 16 kids who live there, if I counted beds correctly, and they all stay for at least a year.

The house was definitely very full, and not in pristine conditions, but the bedrooms were neat, and even colorful. They had a very different feel from the sterile, plain conditions of the kindergarten. It became clear as we talked, that the staff at this house promoted expression and creativity by the children. I loved seeing some of the things they had made.

But the biggest difference became clear very early on: the purpose of this house is to re-integrate the kids into regular society, and the best way they know to turn their lives around is to share the Good News about Jesus with them. As the woman spoke about it, her face radiated with joy! She told me all about various ways they’ve shared the Gospel with the kids, and how the kids have responded in tremendous ways.

They also have very practical goals for re-integration, including finding jobs for all of the kids as they reach adulthood. Some of the kids are encouraged to go on to the university and pursue business careers, etc., and others are trained in specific vocations. If a girl expresses interest in cosmetology, she is encouraged to get the training necessary, but she is also introduced to local women who own beauty salons and can give the girl a realistic view of what it means to work in, or own , a shop – financially, logistically, etc.

As I walked through the buildings, I saw some of the kids and they were all smiling and welcoming. This was a very different environment from the juvenile home that Pete and I worked at years ago. The only thing to which I can ascribe the difference is the central focus of Jesus in this place. Here, they are giving the kids a place to heal, but also a new Hope for their lives.

Even for the children who could perhaps be considered “the least of these” in a poor country, there can be hope and joy. I was glad to see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment