Pages

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Dance performance



A couple of nights ago we went to the National Palace Theater for a special performance by a very popular Moldovan dance ensemble group called JOC. The theater was packed to the rafters -- we should know because we were sitting in them! (I'm continuing my world tour of theaters by paying for the cheapest tickets possible. I saw "Les Miserables" in London from the very same top row seat of the top balcony.)

But it didn't matter where we were sitting.... once the dancers came out, it was magical! They were dancing in the traditional Moldavian style, and man, are they talented. I think it was something like a cross between Riverdance and Stomp -- but much more colorful and festive. The audience got into it immediately, clapping along enthusiastically. It felt like a giant party!





If you want to get a sense of the musical style and the way they moved, I found a couple little videos on Youtube (not from last night, but of JOC, the same group):


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJz3c6uhJM4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unIIt10Smik

And our kids are getting a kick out of this little spoof. They get the dancers started young here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqzOzZ4GpGc

We all decided we LOVE Moldavian folk dances and music after watching the performance! I can't remember the last time I enjoyed being at a theater that much. And I wish America had some good folk dancing... I'd sign my kids up to give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment