Pages

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Joy for Joi, week 9

It’s Joi again today, but finding Joy is not my first instinct.

I’ve been short-tempered today… the dogs are driving me crazy, the kids are driving me crazy, I am bored, it’s cold and windy outside, no one can find any pencils with erasers anywhere in the house, and I’m so distracted I just made a cup of tea, and realized only when I went to drink it that I never boiled the water.

Thankfully we do not live only on first instincts.

S
o in my mind, I’ve been mulling 2 main thoughts:

1.)    My circumstances, as measured by earthly comforts, are better than probably 98% of the people in this city.  Why in the world would I ever complain?  My whining sounds an awful lot like one of my young children who is upset because even though he got to sample 5 different treats in the last 2 days, he’s mad about the one that he didn’t get to have.

2.)    The key to finding Joy is connected to the key-ring of Thankfulness.  Even at lunch today, as we were reviewing a passage in Colossians we’ve been memorizing this month, I was struck by the fact that in just 3 verses, we are reminded to be thankful 3 times.  (Col 3:15-17)

 So, I turn my mind towards gratefulness, out of obedience, and because I know it leads me back to joy.
And I AM thankful.  Even without re-opening my Joy Dare thankfulness notebook, I know that I'm … 

...thankful that these kids are energetic because they’re healthy and growing well

…thankful that we have a nice warm house to be in on a blustery day

…thankful that my husband feels effective and fulfilled in his job here

…thankful that we have plenty of school supplies – even if they are hiding under couches or in beds

… thankful for tea

…thankful for how Miles always asks if his tea has “coodled off yet”

…thankful for the people we’ve met lately and had over for dinner, and the stories we’ve heard from them about life as missionaries

...thankful for time and opportunity to write out the things I can thank God for.  Even just these 15 minutes have calmed me down and reminded me of the Joy around me and in me...

…and most of all thankful that I have a Parent who loves me tenderly and patiently, always welcoming me back to His arms, even when my behavior should be driving Him crazy.  I hope some of that parenting style rubs off on me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment