Pages

Sunday, September 2, 2012

School is back in session

 I've decided I'm not going to say I'm "homeschooling" anymore.  For one thing, that term brings all kinds of connotations, some of which I am not fond.  (Do I need another "of" at the end of that sentence?  Is this grammar-challenged individual even capable of homeschooling her children??)  And the fact of the matter is that I am not at home schooling my children all the time anyway.  They all go to classes with other teachers throughout the week, and we have some private tutors coming to the house as well.  So from now on, instead of saying I'm homeschooling, I am saying I am "customizing my children's educational programs."  :)

But the central body administering these customized educational programs is still Poplar Streams Academy, and it is now back in session!  After a summer that felt way too short, with only a few weeks of our normal routine at home, we have re-started the school year.  I have come with heavier, slower steps than usual to this new year, but have still found joy in unwrapping the new pencils, picking out the books, etc.

To get back in the swing of things, we had our annual night-before-the-first-day-of-school Treasure Hunt.  This year I separated everyone's "treasures" into their own bags, and the kids had to search around the house for them.
Getting ready for "the hunt."  I could say so many things about this picture...
Treasure found
Some are more excited than others
New school supplies!
 The next morning, with the bribe of a special breakfast, we assembled the crew for the annual First Day of School picture:
Poor Milo is sad he's not officially in school yet!

Beautiful

Strider has outgrown his Poplar Streams shirt
 This was an especially big day for Colsen -- his first day of school!

Excited kindergartener
After enjoying Peach Baked French Toast, we said the pledge, and then got started with our regular school activities.


Rayna brought her "class"
 The students are all making books about their travels this summer:
 Even though I didn't quite feel ready for all of this, we ended up having a good week -- falling trees and all.  We look forward to learning and growing together this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment