Pages

Friday, August 31, 2012

Timmmm-berrrrr... uh-oh...

Despite my protests that I loved the curly willow tree in the backyard (which we grew from a little branch our neighbors gave us), Pete went out yesterday to chainsaw it down.  Apparently the fact that it is damaging our house is more important than my love for its appearance.

Right as I was getting ready to leave for work, Strider came running downstairs saying, "A tree just fell on my ceiling!"  We raced outside to find this scene:

 The first words out of Pete's mouth, and this is a direct quote, were:  "It wasn't supposed to go like that."

The first words out of my mouth, in response, were, "I'm going to get the camera."

A few minutes later, the scene had developed into this:
 .... and then the tree started to rotate and slide on its own accord, and I heard the second sentence that I really didn't want to hear:

 "I've gotten myself into a precarious position here.... Not sure how I'm going to get down."

Greeeeaaat.  And soon I was going to be late for work!

Strider stepped up, literally, though, and was able to lift the chainsaw down (and not get smashed by a falling tree) and then we helped Pete navigate down the step-ladder.

When I left, Pete had assembled the kids to start removing some of the carnage, but the tree was still on the roof.
Later I heard that four of the neighbor kids/young men came over and helped remedy the situation.  Again we find ourselves thankful for neighbors!

All of this was made much funnier to me --and to Pete -- because he had apparently, just this past weekend when he was with my brothers and dad, given a big speech about how he always gets trees to fall in the right spots.  As he lamented, "Pride comes before a fall, I guess."

In this case, that was proven quite literally!

2 comments:

  1. Amy,

    John regularly threatens that he will try to fell another tree in our back yard, and every time, I beg him not to. Last time he cut a tree down (he doesn't boast, but he is always VERY confident before the chain saw gets cranked), I heard him frantically yelling for me to come with all the kids and help him PULL, because the tree was beginning to fall the wrong way (toward the house). Ugh. I wasn't laughing, but I admire that you maintained your sense of humor.

    Keep smiling!

    Martita

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha! that made me laugh! That is something that would happen to Bill.

    ReplyDelete