Pages

Saturday, August 4, 2012

First wedding as an aunt

Through the years I have attended weddings as a friend, sister, niece, grandchild, cousin, bridesmaid, pianist or bride, but this weekend marks the first time I have attended as an aunt.  And I have to say, it is kind of fun being an aunt. (This is good news, since I have 19 --and counting -- more nieces and nephews coming through the pipeline.  It's a role I may get to play often!)


I aspire to be as cool as the aunts on "My Big Fat Greek Wedding," (or at least as good of a dancer) and although I am not yet there, I am beginning to see why they were so enthusiastic.  


 There are many cool things about being an aunt, such as:


As an aunt, I get to see my sister- and brother-in-law handle all of the many details, meals, and responsibilities of a wedding weekend with grace and generosity, hopefully learning from their experiences.
The parents of the groom at the rehearsal
As an aunt, I got to help with some of the behind-the-scenes stuff, like ironing my niece's bridesmaid dress and making 4 giant stratas for brunch.  I love that part!





As an aunt, I didn't have to wear any specific, uncomfortable dress or shoes or perform any sort of musical or public-speaking acts.  I could just relax and enjoy the ceremony and food afterwards.


As an aunt, I am old enough to have thoughts like, "Why in the world is the photographer wearing short jean shorts at a wedding?  Would it really be so hard for her to just put on a skirt?"  I'm allowed to have negative thoughts about "kids these days" now.


As an aunt, I was able to see the giant transformation, over the years, of a goofy little kid turning into a strong, responsible young man now beginning his own family. 


As an aunt, I get some perspective on the fact that someday my own goofy little kids may be strong, responsible young people and someday we may celebrate their own weddings.


As an aunt, I get to see niece and nephews who were known to squabble (just a little) with each other now show love and support to each other as adults.  Brings tears to this aunt's eyes, it does!


As an aunt, I can watch my children playing with their cousins, and looking up to the older ones.  Strider shared a room with the groom, David, the last couple of nights before the wedding.  I'm glad he has a cousin he can look up to and know well.


As an aunt, I got to be the mother of an adorable ring-bearer.



As an aunt, I also got to wrestle a couple of little boys who wanted to "talk into the microwave" [microphone] at the rehearsal dinner.



As an aunt, I was involved in wedding events for days, not just hours.
Day-after slack-line festivities


As an aunt, I get to welcome a beautiful new addition, Ali, to the family.  And now I am no longer the most recent (adult) addition!


And, as an aunt, I am able to be part of a loud and crazy family, and help fill out the big family photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment