Pages

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Conference

For years I've been jealous of Pete when he gets to go to conferences.  Staying in nice hotels, eating meals out, listening to fascinating ideas and talking to fascinating people.... what could be better??

This week I finally got to go to my own conference -- and it was just as good as I had hoped!  Pete actually came along so we could hang out together in the evenings and during breaks -- making this our annual getaway -- so that made it even better.
Our first dinner was at True Food Kitchen -- it was awesome!
The best parts were the sides and the honeydew ginger drink!

 The conference was about classical education and over 1200 teachers and administrators from classical schools gathered in Atlanta for 3 days.  We heard from several plenary speakers, who up until now I had only read, and then attended all kinds of workshops during the rest of the time.  Oh -- and we got to hear Keith and Kristyn Getty!  Since the theme of the conference was about truth in poetry, it seemed appropriate that the modern hymn-writers would lead us in worship.

It didn't take very long for me to realize I was going to like the conference; in the first talk alone, C.S. Lewis was quoted or referred to approximately 9 times.  The rest of the time he was mentioned on average about every 7.3 minutes, by my count.

A couple friends from GCC were there, including Ty who was one of the speakers.  It was cool to see him in his element -- and all grown up!

I made some good contacts and got a list of names to follow up with for a long-term dream I'm pursuing.  For now I probably have to put that effort on hold, while we move and bring our daughter home, but hopefully next summer I'll be able to pick it back up and see what happens!

In the meantime, I am re-inspired to continue teaching my kids in the classical ways.


No comments:

Post a Comment